Applications are no longer being accepted for this position.
McIntyre Library's Special Collections & Archives has an opening for students starting in the fall 2013 semester. Applicants must have federal work study to be eligible for employment.
To apply, please complete the application form electronically[PDF] and send by email to email@example.com.
Library Assistants in Special Collections work closely with the Archivist and Archives Assistant to ensure that essential archives management functions are completed in a timely, professional manner. Student assistants may be asked to assist in any of the following areas:
- Data entry and statistical analysis
- Answering the telephone
- Reference and Outreach
- Meeting and greeting patrons
- Instructing patrons about reading room policies and procedures
- Assisting with patron registration paperwork
- Referring patrons to appropriate information resources
- Answering reference questions submitted through email and postal mail
- Paging and returning collections for patrons
- Assisting patrons with photocopier, microfilm reader, scanner
- Arrangement and Description
- Boxing and foldering collections
- Writing box and folder inventories
- Writing finding aids for manuscript and archival collections
- Creating box labels
- Replacing damaged boxes and box labels
- Making protective covers for fragile books
- Sleeving fragile items in manuscript collections
- Preservation photocopying
- Straightening up/reshelving in the reading room
- Breaking down boxes for recycling
- Weeding duplicates from collections
- Assisting with courier transfer of manuscripts and records from Area Research Centers across the state
- Other duties as assigned
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Access
- Attention to detail
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- Interest in history or library science a plus
Library Assistants in Special Collections generally work 10 hrs / week during the academic year. Scheduling is flexible, but work hours must be between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
To apply, please complete the application form electronically[PDF] and send by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications may also be printed (paper copies are available at the 1st floor Circulation Desk) and sent by mail to Lark Keating-Hadlock, Archives Assistant, W. D. McIntyre Library, University of Wisconsin – Eau Claire, P.O. Box 4004, Eau Claire, WI 54702-4004 or delivered by hand to Special Collections on the 5th floor of McIntyre Library.